The Provincial Kaohsiung Female Teachers College was established in 1954. The mission of the college aims to train elementary teachers.
In 1967, the Provincial Government of Taiwan founded and renamed the college as the Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers College. The college’s mission was to train secondary school teachers in coping with the nation’s nine-year compulsory education policy.
Taiwan Provincial Kaohsiung Teachers College was renamed as the National Kaohsiung Teachers College on July 1, 1980.
Nine years later, on August 1, 1989, the College was reconfigured as National Kaohsiung Normal University. The University’s mission was remodeled and devoted to the cultivation of a rich intellectual environment where individuals can be trained to become the future leaders of society.
In 1989, the University initiated a second campus in Yan-Chao in order to accommodate its new mission. The campus was inaugurated a year later, and, in 2003, the University’s two colleges--the College of Technology and the College of Science--moved to Yan-Chao.
Since 2004, the University has been recognized for its merit by the Ministry of Education in the nationwide university evaluation and accreditation. From 2005 to 2012, the University has been both awarded funding and accredited as an institution pursuing “excellence in teaching.”